COVID-19 Testing Availability During the Thanksgiving Break
COVID-19 testing availability during the Thanksgiving break
Dear members of the Yale Community,
As we head into the Thanksgiving break, we want to remind you of safety precautions and update you on testing availability and expectations.
There continues to be substantial transmission of COVID-19 around the country; the general guidance below should reduce risks:
- Members of the Yale community are encouraged to test 48-72 hours prior to Thanksgiving travel. You may continue to self-schedule testing through covidtesting.yale.edu.
- Travel is an ongoing risk. To ensure you are as safe as possible, we’d urge you to mask regardless of vaccination status, especially while on public transportation, in taxis or Ubers, and on airplanes according to federal guidelines.
- As you gather with friends and family, we urge you to do so safely, especially if there are older or high risk people in the household. Masking and distancing as feasible will keep you and others safe.
- Consider purchasing some home COVID-19 test kits to facilitate rapid testing in the event that you or members of your household develop symptoms. These can be obtained on-line and in many pharmacies.
- If you do travel, we recommend you test within 48 hours of your return to campus.
- We have extended testing capacity on Thursday and Friday November 18 and 19 to accommodate testing prior to the Thanksgiving break.
- Detailed test site schedules for Thanksgiving week are posted on the screening program webpage. Note that the Schwarzman testing location will be closed for Thanksgiving week.
- Asymptomatic test sites will be closed beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 24, through Thanksgiving day. 150 York Street will be open on Friday, November 26, and normal asymptomatic hours will resume on Saturday, November 27.
- Symptomatic testing will be available every day except Thanksgiving Day.
- You may self-schedule (by acknowledging symptoms during scheduling) or call the Campus COVID Resource LineCampus COVID Resource Line (CCRL) at 203-432-6604. Yale Health Acute Care (203-432-0123) is available 24-7 if needed.
- On and off-campus undergraduates and graduate students should continue their designated testing schedules until their departure, if traveling.
- Those students remaining on campus, or in New Haven, during Thanksgiving break are expected to continue their designated testing schedules.
- Students who travel are expected to test within 48 hours of return, and testing schedules Sunday, November 28, through Tuesday, November 30, have been extended to make this easier.
Faculty and staff
- Faculty and staff with a testing requirement are expected to continue to test if they are coming to campus during the Thanksgiving break.
- Other staff may take advantage of voluntary testing at available sites through covidtesting.yale.edu.
For other questions about COVID-19 testing, contact the CCRL at 203-432-6604, or go to Yale COVID-19 Screening Program webpage.
Wishing you all a safe and restful Thanksgiving from the Yale Testing Team,
Madeline S. Wilson, MD, FACP
Chief Quality Officer
Director, Yale Testing and Tracing Program
Yale Health Center